Tuesday 3 April 2012

My Fim Noir DVD Cover


This is DVD case I made for our Film Noir, Blackmail. When making this case I had to take a lot in to consideration. Firstly, what pictures would suitably fit the genre? What age restrictions would our film have, and what production company would work well with the piece we were trying to create? I did some research and got a basic net design of a DVD case. I then had a look at some design from previous noir films for some inspiration. We still hadn’t decided on our actors for our final film yet so I decided to use silhouettes to represent each of our main characters. This would make the each character clear in the sense of who they are, but would hide their individual personality, reflecting on the name of the film, Blackmail. I positioned each silhouette a certain way on the front of the DVD case because I felt it would create a sense of authority between the characters and would make the audience think about the status of each character before watching the film. Having a super side close up of Martha allows us to see no emotion through body language leaving our thoughts on her purpose in the film wondering. In contrast to this having a full length shot representing Nancy over Martha face could make you think about whether they are three individual characters or if Nancy is a part of Martha mind, one of her aspirations Clark is the man sitting in the chair he has a relaxed, smug posture and is looking up at both women which plays with the conventions of film noir because it would normally be the other way round. However in our film noir we wanted to make both women the dominant characters leading to two femme fatales. The back of a DVD cover is just as important to the front, so I had to make sure I included the right information. The 'cut out' effect picture's in the top left hand corner of the back page are screen captures from the film, allowing the buyer of the DVD to get a feel for the film but they also represent pictures within our film- a major part. Along with the picture's I had to make sure that I included a small blurb which would entice a buyer in leaving them on a cliff hanger, so in order to find out what happens they would have to watch the film. I wrote this in red to represent the death a deceit within our film.

No comments:

Post a Comment